Information O’Reilly gathers and tracks
O’Reilly collects three kinds of information about users:
- Data that users volunteer by signing up to receive news and product information, completing surveys, or buying directly from us.
- Aggregated tracking data we collect when users interact with us.
- Information that students volunteer when enrolling in a course or certificate program.
We use the personal information you provide voluntarily to send information you’ve requested and to fulfill orders. The specific use of your personal information varies depending on how you contact us:
- When you sign up online to receive O’Reilly School of Technology newsletters or product and company news, or begin to enroll in a course, you must provide your name and email address. We never sell or rent your email address or other personally identifiable information you provide us under these circumstances.
- When you register for or enroll in a course or certificate series, you must provide your address, phone number, date of birth, and highest level of schooling achieved. This student information is kept confidential and will not be viewed by anyone other than authorized O’Reilly School of Technology personnel and administration.
- When you register for or enroll in a course or certificate series, we will send you email announcements and updates about OST courses and programs, unless you opt out using the instructions below.
- OST never stores credit card numbers, expiration dates, or CCIDs on our servers. To process tuition or fees using a credit card, we utilize the Braintree payment processor using a 100% PCI compliant method.
We share customer information only with affiliated companies (see http://www.oreilly.com/affiliates.html) and as described below:
- We share some customer information with third parties we retain to perform functions on our behalf, such as fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, managing mailing lists, and delivering packages. These parties are restricted from using your information for any other purpose.
- We release personal information when we believe that release is appropriate to comply with the law, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of O’Reilly Media, our users, or others. This may include exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Aggregated tracking information
We analyze visitors’ use of our sites by tracking information such as pageviews, traffic flow, search terms, and click-through. We use this information to improve our sites. We also share this anonymous traffic and demographic information in aggregate form with O’Reilly and other business partners. We do not share any information with advertisers that can identify an individual user.
We use Omniture SiteCatalyst, a third party web analytics service, to improve our web site performance and user experience. We use this information to improve usability on our sites and to help support our customers online needs. Omniture SiteCatalyst does not reveal any personally identifiable information, such as names or email address.
You can set your browser to warn you before accepting cookies or to block cookies. If you block cookies, you may not be able to use certain site features or functions.
Third Party Cookies
In the course of web services on this site such as tracking or social media, our third party may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser.
Notification of Changes
How to Update, Correct, or Delete Your Information
Updating Student Information: You may update your student information by logging into the Student Start Page: https://students.oreillyschool.com. If you are unable to retrieve your login information, contact us at email@example.com or call 707-827-7288.
Email: To update or unsubscribe from our email newsletters or product announcements, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 707-827-7288.
Snailmail: To change your address or delete your name from our mailing list (for paper catalogs or brochures), send an email to email@example.com or call 707-827-7288.