Open Source Programming Certificate
For a limited time, save 25% on this certificate series
* This offer expires January 7, 2015 at 11:59pm PT and cannot be combined with any other discounts.
The Open Source Programming certificate series is comprised of five courses covering intermediate to advanced topics in open source programming using Perl, Python, PHP, SQL, and Linux. Courses are delivered via the CodeRunner IDE and require only that you be online and able to use a browser.
Upon completion of this certificate program, you will be able to:
- Develop Perl Scripts that use variables, conditionals, interpolation, arrays, lists, hashes, subroutines, loops, formatted printing, data mapping, and sorting.
- Implement Perl scripts that work with external files.
- Design PHP scripts that use variables, operators, control structures, loops, arrays, strings, functions, cookies, and sessions.
- Create PHP scripts that obtain input from the user and interact with a database.
- Apply basic database theory to design a relational SQL database, SQL tables and create complex queries.
- Develop Python scripts that use expressions, variables, conditionals, loops, lists, sets, dicts, functions, objects and exceptions.
- Navigate the Linux file system and assign permissions to files and directories.
- Use find, grep, and regular expressions to search files and directories.
- Install SSH and use SCP.
- Create and manage system users.
Upon completion, not only will you have earned a Certificate of Professional Development, but you will also have built attractive, robust web interfaces and database applications that can be displayed as part of your professional portfolio.
Prerequisites: You must have basic skills in web programming using HTML and CSS in order to complete this series. You can meet this prerequisite by completing the O’Reilly School of Technology course Introduction to HTML and CSS.
|Perl 1: Introduction to Perl||60|
|Python 1: Beginning Python||90|
|Linux Systems Administration: The Command Line||90|
|Introduction to PHP||90|
|PHP/SQL 1: Introduction to Database Programming||90|
*An additional registration fee is charged in the amount of 20% of tuition, up to no more than $200 per transaction. For a list of all mandatory and optional fees, please see Tuition and Fees.
Hear more from one of our alumni: