At OST, our top priority is to provide an excellent student experience. We are continually looking for new ways to make your learning experience better and your alumnus experience more successful. As part of this ongoing effort, we currently offer these student services:
- Portfolio account: As an OST student, you are provided with a web-based Sandbox account, in which all of your project files and coursework are stored. You can organize these files however you like; they can be built into an attractive website, complete with a web address (URL) you can give to clients, employers, or the public as a professional quality display of your new skills. You can keep this account beyond the your course enrollment period for a small monthly fee.
- Instructor recommendation: OST does not offer career placement services, nor guarantee career placement upon course or certificate program completion. However, students may request a written recommendation upon course completion or certificate program graduation, and recommendations may be provided for exceptional students, at the discretion of the instructor.
- Orientation: The first lesson in each course provides an orientation to the useractive way of learning for your course.
- Counseling: OST does not provide counseling services at this time. However, vocational guidance is provided to students who request assistance. OST’s student services department also provides assistance to students who are experiencing technical issues or other difficulties with their courses. At OST, our goal is to help students progress in their courses as seamlessly as possible.
- Job Placement: OST does not provide job placement services.
- Student IDs: OST does not issue student IDs.
- Graduation Ceremony: OST is not a degree-granting institution and therefore does not conduct graduation ceremonies.
- Honor Society: Because OST courses are all taught using unit mastery, there is no ranking of students and there are no honor societies.
Hours of Operation and Holiday Schedule
Instructor office hours are by appointment; please call Student Services if you need to schedule time with your instructor.
The OST offices will be closed during the following holidays. On those days, Student Services and Instructors will have limited availability.
|Tuesday, January 01, 2013||New Year’s Day|
|Monday, January 21, 2013||Martin Luther King, Jr. Day|
|Monday, February 18, 2013||President’s Day|
|Monday, May 27, 2013||Memorial Day|
|Thursday, July 04, 2013||Independence Day|
|Friday, July 05, 2013||Day after Independence Day|
|Monday, September 02, 2013||Labor Day|
|Thursday, November 28, 2013||Thanksgiving Day|
|Friday, November 29, 2013||Day After Thanksgiving|
|Tuesday, December 24, 2013||Christmas Eve|
Wednesday, December 25, 2013 -
Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Electronic newsletter: OST produces an email-based newsletter that is sent periodically to all active students, alumni, and others who opt into this service. This newsletter provides updates on new courses and certificates available, upcoming events, newsworthy links, special promotions, Student of the Month honorees, and other information that may be of interest or benefit to students and alumni.
- Blog: OST dedicates a portion of its website to a blog (http://blog.oreillyschool.com) in which our directors, faculty, staff, and other thought leaders in education and the IT industry contribute on a regular basis, and we encourage feedback from students and alumni. Posts in this blog range from in-depth analysis of OST’s pedagogical history, to job market snapshots within the IT industry, to outside reviews of OST and calls for suggestions.
- Social media: OST has an active and lively presence on several widely-used social media platforms, each of which has specific benefits for students:
- The OST page on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/oreillyschool) allows students and alumni to interact with each other and with OST faculty and staff, to build community and to stay informed and current about OST and the world of Information Technology. Posts range from descriptions of instructors’ favorite student projects, to updates on OST’s inner workings, to supplemental education materials that can be found on the Web.
- OST’s Twitter presence (http://www.twitter.com/oreillyschool) is focused on sharing tips and information about career and skills improvement in the Information Technology field, as well as wisdom from OST authors, bloggers, leaders in the IT industry, and even Tim O’Reilly himself. All students and alumni are invited to interact directly with OST at @oreillyschool, or through the hashtag #oreillyschool during special events, webcasts, or discussions.
- OST’s profile on LinkedIn ( http://www.linkedin.com/company/o’reilly-school-of-technology) provides students and alumni with a valuable professional network that helps them make connections with each other and with other professionals, companies, or employers in the IT field.